Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Doing the Laundry



Settled deeper into my new domestic existence by doing the household laundry with help from Joyce's laundry machine & her building's dryer. Today was quite rainy, as it has been for several days now, so we all stayed indoors for most of the day, excepting a few trips to buy food & a brief walk with Nathan. Lately, I've done a lot of food-shopping - here's a list of dishes/items I'm learning how to order (I've added the Mandarin tone numbers, for those who are interested & to reinforce my learning!):

mi[3] jiang [1] re[4] de[5] = hot rice milk
dou[4] jiang[1] re[4] de[5] = hot soy milk
dan[4] bing[3] = flattened, round scrambled egg wrapped in a thin, round flat bread
han[4] bao[3] dan[4] = breakfast sandwich containing a fried egg & sausage
yo[2] fan[4] = sticky rice cooked partly in pork fat containing small shrimp & shitake mushrooms
xian[2] fan[4] tuan[2] = rice rolled in a cylinder around dried pork
yo[2] yu[2] geng[1] mi[3] fen[3] = squid soup with thin rice noodles
guo[1] tie[1] = gyoza-style fried dumplings containing pork

Well, that's all I can remember right now. Language learning in any situation seems plotted according to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, so, of course, food acquisition is foundational.

No comments: